Voter (and civic) education programs are needed to help the women and disadvantaged groups enter the mainstream of democratic life.
NAGAAD is a leading Network representing 46 Women organizations in Somaliland and has been working to create an enabling environment for women in Somaliland since its inception in 1997. NAGAAD’s programs on women empowerment manifests in different aspects. Since 2002, NAGAAD has been giving especial focus to Women’s (Quota) and Political Participation in Somaliland. Currently NAGAAD is implementing project titled "Promoting Somaliland Women’s Leadership in Service Delivery and Participation in Political Processes” in Somaliland, which has been serving to improve gender equality and women empowering in economic, political, and social areas. More importantly, NAGAAD has been supporting capacity buildingprojects enhance women’s participation in the leadership positions.
Voter (and civic) education programs are needed to help the women and disadvantaged groups enter the mainstream of democratic life. The greatest civic education needs are to be found among the most disadvantaged groups. The key targets are those with less than primary education, rural women, low income voters and urban women over 35.
During elections women candidates and voters do face intimidation and some violation which affects their citizen and voter rights whereby the establishment of the situation room will sought to ensure accountability for GBV incidents and who does it during these times and in this regard the situation room report will propose mitigating recommendations.
This particular project aims at empowering women to achieve their political rights by advocating for the adoption of policies and legislations to ensure adequate women's political participation at leadership positions. In addition, the project sets to strengthening women’s capacities to participate in electoral processes both as candidates and voters at all levels in the 2017 election. It will contribute to promoting gender equality by increasing awareness on democratic elections among community members. Moreover, the project includes preparing civic and voter education manuals and establishing partnership with media houses to support women candidates’campaigns activities. NAGAAD has been working collaborate with its member organizations to achieve these aims. This project has been contributing positively in these efforts.
The project approach shall include capacity building, sharing of experience and creating platforms for lobbying and advocacy on the enactment of gender conscious laws, voter education.The main activities of the project include; increasing women’s access to participation in the upcoming parliamentary election, in March 2017, by improving stakeholders understanding on the issue of women quota in Somaliland.
- Purpose AND OBJECTIVES of the Consultancy
The purpose of the consultancy is to know the perception of the community on women’s’ election campaigns.
Specific Objectives are:
The specific objectives of the consultancy are to:
- Conduct small survey on community perception on women’s’ election campaigns.
- Scope of work
The lead researcher will conduct the following activities:
- Briefing with Nagaad and UN Women in order to develop common understanding of the scope of the assignment and the key issues to be addressed.
- Design study methodology and required tools for the study and update the assignment work plan.
- Train, deploy and supervise field researchers/enumerators.
- Conduct field based assessment (key informant interviews, focus group discussion and questionnaires), analysing data and report synthesis
- Facilitate validation workshop on the findings of the study with stakeholders;
- Finalize study report, debrief Nagaad and UN Women and deliver final synthesis report
Expected Outputs andDeliverables
The consultant shall:
- Developed data collection tools
- Draft technical report
- Validation process of the data collected from the field (Input collection from the workshop participants)
- Recommendations to engage with traditional leaders to enable them understand women’s land rights developed as part of the report
- Submit Finalized technical report to Nagaad Network.
- At the end of the assignment, the researcher will deliver all copies (Hard and Soft) of the data and data collection tools to Nagaad Network.
This consultant will be engaged for 18 man days proposed schedules is planned to be from 4th to 22thFebruary 2016. The activity plan proposed below will be reviewed and agreed by the consultant and NAGAAD commencement of the assignment. See TOR pdf below for more info.
- Profile of the consultant
- Minimum of Master’s Degree in international relations, public policy, political science, international law or relevant disciplines.
- Extensive experience in social research including designing and conducting formal and academic researches.
- Knowledge of advocacy on women’s’ political participation, civic education, human rights, gender equality, as well women empowerment issues.
- Knowledge and experience of using participatory methodologies in a developing country context.
- Knowledge and understanding of advocacy, awareness raising education management systems.
- Proficiency in computer skills.
- Understanding of education in a developing country.
- Excellent facilitation and report writing skills.
- Familiarity with the Somaliland context and voter registration in particular.
- Familiarity with work of non-profit organizations.
- Supervision and management
The consultant will report to and receive initial briefing from the Executive Director at the head office of NAGAAD. At the field level, NAGAAD’s Project Manager.
- Mode of application
Applications with non-returnable copies of CVs, testimonials should be submitted on or before 5thJanuary 2016 and via email to na.......[at]yahoo.com Applications could also be submitted to NAGAAD office in Hargeisa before the indicated date.