Nagaad is a non-governmental umbrella organization founded in 1997 in Somaliland and legally registered by the Ministry of Planning and Office of Attorney General. Main goal of Nagaad is the promotion of women’s political, economic and social position within Somaliland. Nagaad has a current membership of 46 mainly non-governmental women’s organizations (NGO’s). Nagaad seeks a world in which men and women are treated equally and in which women participate in all levels of decision-making, affecting their lives. The mandate of Nagaad revolves around three essential goals:
- The advancement of women’s economic, social and political status in Somaliland.
- The establishment of an effective network for women NGOs, as well as other groups working for the advancement of women.
- The provision of capacity building support for Network members so that they can function more effectively.
Nagaad aspires to see the rights of women respected in Somaliland
Nagaad network exists to empower Somaliland women in all aspects of their lives through advocacy and capacity strengthening
The following values underpin the existence of Nagaad
- Integrity for all
- Transparency and Accountability
- Commitment to the cause of women
- Participation for all
- Respect for all